Thursday, July 05, 2007

Kuli

A few weeks ago, a family of cats took refuge in my backyard. At the time of their arrival, I noticed Papa cat as one of Bukki's (my dog) old playmates. When he, the cat, was only a kitten, Bukki would put his little kitten head in Bukki's little puppy mouth. All was just fun and games until little kitten lost one of his little beady eyes. Since then Ive called him Chester Copperpot (from the movie "The Goonies") in reference to his resemblence of a one-eyed pirate. (I figured calling him One-eyed Willie was a little cruel and demeaning) It was an interesting coincidence that my parents later sent me a DVD none other than, "The Goonies".

Well, Chester Copperpot turned into quite the kitty pirate. Instead of stealing gold and diamonds, he stole a different kind of 'booty', the one belonging to all the little girly kittens in town. I guess the whole one-eye, bad ass look is in these days. Little kin of Chester Copperpot were popping up all over the village. Which brings me back to the beginning of my story, "A few weeks ago, a family of cats took refuge in my backyard."

I woke up one morning with something furry cuddled up next to me. My first reaction was to freak out because it caught me off guard. I picked it up and flung it out of my bed, but it didnt leave my room. It proved to be good company throughout the day, so I let it stay a while. I dont know if i regret this or not, but I broke the cardinal rule- "Dont feed the animals." Now, it refuses to leave.

That night it jumped in my bed while i was reading and I let it stick around, as if I had a choice. I now have a black and white friend that wants nothing but a little TLC (tender love and care). 

I have this long standing joke with my family here. I tell everyone that with as many kittens Chester Copperpot has had, theres no doubt in my mind that he has contracted some sort of kitty STD. You cant be too safe these days!!! This gave me a perfect name for the kitten, and if you wondered about the title of this story....now you know. I named her "Kuli", translated into English from Wolof means, 'syphillis'. I thought 'kuli' was a very nice sounding name, even given the terrible meaning associated with it; which surely I too have probably contracted over the years. Luckily for the kitten though, she'll never fully comprehend the meaning of her name. Unless of course she grows up and meets another Chester Copperpot




See what's free at AOL.com.

1 Comments:

At 7/09/2007 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gonorea, syphilis, HIV, Paul Worts, herpes, Hepititis C, how did I get this I don't know. That's why I get for sleeping w/a Ho!

Do you remember the STD song? I miss you tons. I bet I spelled all of those diseases wrong. I want a kitten I'm super jealous. Derick won't let me get one. When will you be home?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home